The Arizona Interscholastic Association and the Agua Fria Union High School District announced tryouts for all winter sports has been delayed due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in the area. This decision will impact basketball, soccer and wrestling.
Coaches are able to continue open field workouts with the following guidelines:
– No contact
– No scrimmages or competition
– Ballhandling drills are okay
– Strength and conditioning workout are okay if they do not involve contact
– Masked are required during non-high aerobic activity
– Coaches must wear masks at all times
– A gallon of water is required to participate
The AIA Covid-19 benchmarks to begin winter athletics is 100/100,000 cases for moderate sports (basketball/soccer) and 75/100,000 for high risk sports (wrestling). Currently, the district benchmark is 152/100,000 and the county benchmark is 115/100,000. Benchmark data needs to be met for two consecutive weeks prior to winter sports beginning. Any updates regarding data or benchmarks will be communicated to allow for appropriate planning. The earliest potential start is November 23.